Monday, December 04, 2006

Bedouins dance on my taste buds

Folks, there are now two periods in my life: the days before I went to New Yasmeen Bakery in Dearborn, Michigan and the days after. That division came yesterday.

Don't get me wrong: Ann Arbor has its share of Middle Eastern bakeries/delis. For the rest of my life I will be grateful to Exotic Bakeries for providing a nearby place where I could get hummus, tabbouli, and majaddara with a smile and dip pita bread away with abandon. And how could I forget the grocery store Jerusalem Market around the corner from EB where I could always stock up on frozen patties of falafal?

But even these places kowtow to New Yasmeen (ext. review here). In fact every Middle Eastern deli, grocery store, and restaurant that I've been to in Southeast Michigan, save for one, uses pita bread from New Yasmeen. How much of an endorsement is that?

In this post-NYB era, I've already seen many wonders:

A 50-foot deli counter. (I only show the non-dessert half here.)


Chicky shawarma sandwiches for $3.18.

Baby pita bread. Baby pita bread!


If you ever find yourself within, say, 500 miles of Southeast Michigan, you should stop by. And after you're done at New Yasmeen, wander east on Warren Avenue to another place where I went buggy-eyed, Shatila Bakery:


Shatila's not a deli, though, so I'd recommend getting your shawarma on at New Yasmeen and then going to Shatila for sweets (ext. review here). Just like I did.

By the way, what day is it? It's Day One in my post-NYB life.

4 Comments:

At Tue Dec 05, 02:53:00 PM EST, Blogger Uichan said...

Mmm. Thanks for this post. I'll have to give this place a shot! But La Shish still has the best pita bread...

 
At Tue Dec 05, 04:05:00 PM EST, Blogger hollly said...

Damn it! Why did I have to find out this juicy tip POST my Ann Arbor days?!?

Have you ever been to one of my favorite places for North Indian cuisine? I love Raja Rani!

 
At Tue Dec 05, 05:14:00 PM EST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raja Rani is my least favorite of the AA Indian joints--too gloppy, though the all you can drink chai almost compensates. Anyway, why don't we all head on over to this place for a group lunch sometime?

 
At Tue Dec 05, 05:57:00 PM EST, Blogger stewchang said...

I liked Raja Rani for its lunch buffet when I first arrived in Ann Arbor. But since that time several other competitors have come onto the scene, including Madras Masala, Temptations, and most recently Chennai Vilas. Throw in old standby Shalimar and it's hard now to judge which Indian buffet is the best.

And, anonymous, who are you? I'm going to need that information to decide whether I want to be in a "group lunch" with you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home