Thursday, June 07, 2007

Coffee shop dilemma

Here's a situation I found myself in last weekend: You're sitting in a coffee shop, laptop out and doing work, with a cup of coffee on the table, and suddenly need to use the restroom.

What do you do?

Let's assume you didn't bring a laptop lock with you.

You could:
  1. Quaff the coffee, pack up your stuff, and bring your stuff with you into the restroom (denying yourself the enjoyment of a slowly sipped coffee)

  2. Bring the coffee along with your stuff into the restroom (exposing your coffee to undesirable restroom air)

  3. Suck it up (just decide not to use the restroom to the possible medical detriment of your vejiga urinaria)

  4. Ask someone to watch your stuff and then go to the restroom
I think most of us would go with D, and I was about to myself, until I stopped and thought about it.

Consider this: If I can trust one stranger enough to watch my stuff, why can't I trust all strangers and E, leave my stuff there and go to the restroom?

You could even make the case that asking one stranger to watch your stuff puts you in even worse position than just getting up and leaving your stuff. Now said stranger knows you'll be away and incapacitated for a good minute or so. That's a minute in which he (or she) could snatch your belongings (with your simulations and thesis stored on them -- oh wait, that's just me) and run out the door with nary a trace.

At least if you just get up and leave your stuff, you might be making a call or getting a sugar packet or better yet a napkin, keeping an eye on your stuff the whole time. You might be coming right back, and who wants to mess with Irate Napkin Guy?

I was really working up a mental lather over the whole thing and thought I'd hit on one of those situations that exemplifies how bizarre modern life gets sometimes. I pictured writing a novel based on the incident -- about a guy, no, a PhD student, whose life could have gone any of five ways based on what he decided to do here. There'd be a book tour, movie rights, hanging out with Paris Hilton, the works.

But by the time I decided to ask the stranger at the next table to watch my stuff, RW arrived and sat down across from me. Ah, the sixth option. That made the moint poot.

3 Comments:

At Fri Jun 08, 12:14:00 PM EDT, Blogger CS said...

Actually the fact you asked would probably lower the risk in and of itself.

Most laptop thefts, I'm assuming, are perpetrated by people familiar with your work environemtn or are quick anonymous grab-and-runs.

The fact you ask someone to watch your stuff (anyone, heck, even the thief if you think about it) reduces the anonymous part of the whole operation.

 
At Sat Oct 06, 09:26:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you asking one stranger to guard your belongings from another? Or, Why should I have the onus of protecting your property when you won`t?!? My other thought is that if I agreed to watch your laptop and it STILL got stolen, you would be blaming ME right?!?! Thanks but I don`t need the grief. Don`t ask others to be responsible for your items. It`s to close to that definition of chump!(I`m gonna stand here on the corner in the rain for another hour, then he can borrow the ten grand from somebody else!

 
At Tue Oct 30, 10:37:00 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tend to opt for option E, but it of course depends on the area I'm in...coffee shops should have laptop locks near the outlets. I'd even pop a quarter in it to use it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home