Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Garden state

I'm a big fan of the University's Matthaei Botanical Gardens, especially during those times of year when you can actually feel the earth underfoot -- and not snow -- and breathe the air -- and not clouds of gnats and mosquitoes.

Right not we're having one of those times. Every plant or tree capable of blooming seems to be doing so, and the rest of the landscape is bursting verdant. The days are still getting longer, but even at night birds and animals chirp, buzz, or scuttle as you pass so you never feel the earth is completely asleep. In short, I can't think of a better time to be in Michigan. And if you're in Ann Arbor, it could be the best time of year to visit Matthaei.

I stopped by Matthaei last Sunday and checked out the Conservatory for the first time. I can't believe I've passed it up all these years. (In my defense, it closes at 4:30 pm every day of the week except Monday when it's closed and Wednesday when it stays open until 8.)

Among the wonders you can see there, this:


Sausage tree. Obviously. Anyone else feel like tea?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home