Thursday, September 21, 2006

The Latin for apple is malus

Today I had the best apple, light green in color and smooth to the touch. Its unblemished surface spoke to an upbringing free of predators and disease, while a single mark -- a bright red splash the size and shape of a quarter -- dated it as on the cusp of maturity.

It fit perfectly within my hand, not too large like the genetic mutants that go by the name Red Delicious, nor too small like the runts that fall off the tree before their time and get gathered up in five-pound bags. It fit so perfectly in fact that for a moment I pondered whether fate, evolution, or something else entirely was responsible.

I'd picked this specimen up a few days ago, out of a wooden crate full of others. A sign taped to the crate's side indicated that they were from Michigan; the cost seemed fair. I'd wandered up and down the aisles of the market, and nothing had caught my eye. Until now. I bagged this one along with three others, paid, and left.

In the days since, I'd had the other ones. They were perfectly adequate and did the trick when I was hungry. But now, down to the last one -- this one -- I saw details I'd missed in the others. Perhaps because I now saw it apart from the others, perhaps because it really was different from the others -- whatever the case, before I even took a bite, it seemed to me perfect.

When I finally did take a bite, I was not disappointed.

3 Comments:

At Fri Sep 22, 06:46:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember how it all began
The apple and the fall of man
The price we paid
So the people say
Down a path of shame it lead us
Dared to bite the hand that fed us
The fairy tale
The moral end
The wheel of fortune
Never turns again

-Natalie Merchant

 
At Sat Sep 23, 09:49:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat. Genesis 3:6

A word Fitly spoken is like Apples of Gold in Pictures in Silver. Proverbs 25:11

It is in this Context that I note merely the eafe of finding Biblickal references to many basic Subjects, not to be miftaken any particular Religiofity on my part;-
J.J.

 
At Mon Sep 25, 05:42:00 PM EDT, Blogger stewchang said...

You could go the other direction, though, with this tidbit from Song of Solomon (5:22): "Stay me with flagons, comfort me with apples: for I am sick of love."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home