Friday, August 25, 2006

TSA annoyances

While packing for an upcoming weekend trip, I was trying to decide what toiletries to risk bringing to the airport and decided to check the TSA website. I was glad to see that I could bring contact lens solution, or as the TSA puts it,

"Up to 4 oz. of essential non-prescription liquid medications including saline solution, eye care products and KY jelly."

But I find it odd that "KY jelly" is considered "essential". Who decided to include this on the list? And how many bureaucrats had to give their approval before the list made the website? While I'm at it, isn't KY -- which should more accurately be written "K-Y" -- a brand requiring an encircled R to follow it? And what about other brands of personal lubricants? I imagine the Astroglide people weren't happy.

Another thing about this list that gets me is the distinction between liquids and solids:

"You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids. Please remember these items must be solid and not liquid, gel or aerosol."

Quite frankly, it's got me looking for the nearest general chemistry textbook. Here's my dilemma: considering myself something between Old World Asian and New World Asian, I spike my hair up, but just a little bit. Some time ago, I decided I liked the consistency of a product that labels itself a "gel wax". (Huh?) More of a marketing term than a scientific one, I conclude, and one that doesn't help me distinguish it as solid or liquid. Heat it up a bit and it turns liquidy. Cool it down and you can leave fingerprint impressions on its surface. But then again, as I remember from general chemistry lab, you can heat almost anything up (okay, it has to be crystalline solid, but for the sake of argument I'll call this "anything") and have it melt at the so-called melting point. Whatever the case, I feel I'm losing out to the pomade people who clearly have a solid on their hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home