Monday, March 19, 2007

Why we have radio

Here in the lab this evening everyone else has finally gone home, meaning I can now crank up the stereo with impunity. I've currently got it set to radio, and the first thing coming out are these lyrics which you might be familiar with:
Life is too short so love the one you got
'cause you might get run over or you might get shot

Never start no static, I just get it off my chest
Never had to battle with no bulletproof vest

Take a small example, take a tip from me
Take all of your money and give it up to charity

Love is what I got....
I've had a thing for this song since it first came out in 1997, and it gained special meaning for me in 2001. That year -- the last that I taught -- I had one advanced class, an Algebra II class made up mostly of juniors. A great, great group of kids: mature, chill, focused. I treated them like they were an honors class, and they responded like one.

Anyway, one afternoon -- spontaneously as far as I could tell -- one, two, then the rest burst into song, and that song happened to be this one, "What I Got" by Sublime. Being good kids, they bleeped themselves out when they got to the drug references. And being still a teacher, I couldn't just condone long periods of song when there was work to do. But inside I knew they were happy, and that made me happy as well. I remembered how quickly the pendulum could swing from one emotion to the other at that age, and inside I hoped that the atmosphere I'd made was one where they felt, on average, happy and safe. I probably let them sing for longer than I should have.

Here in the lab, the song's now over. Another one's started up, and I've got more work to do myself tonight. But, God, I hope those kids -- wherever they are tonight -- are okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home