Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Reality only slightly less shady

... than imagined.

Some weekends I'll be looking for parking west of Main Street here in Ann Arbor and pass First Street, the western edge of downtown. Needing to turn around, I'll take the first right off Huron I see into a parking lot for what appears to be a car wash. In fact, it's the parking lot for a building behind the car wash, a trailer-looking structure with always a few characters loitering around outside and the only illumination a neon sign up top written in Korean.

What kind of front business is this? I'd wonder. Let's not forget that it was only a few months ago that AAPD busted five -- yes, five -- Asian spa-fronting brothels.

A few minutes of sleuthing on the Internet later, I found out that this trailer-looking structure is in fact a legitimate business. Or does a very good job appearing to be so. The other writing on the sign -- which I suppose I overlook each time I tear out of the parking lot as quickly as possible -- is in English: "Blue Karaoke". According to their website, there are nine rooms within which can be rented by the hour.

Uh huh. I'm still dubious.

3 Comments:

At Thu Mar 08, 01:07:00 AM EST, Blogger tiffany said...

i know what kind of business goes on there, but i promised the person who told me that i wouldn't tell anyone.
which doesn't mean that i won't tell you, it just means that i won't tell you on the internet.

 
At Thu Mar 08, 03:13:00 PM EST, Blogger hollly said...

Back in madison there was a restaurant called "American Lunch". It was only open at night time and it quite certainly was an 'American Lunch'...I always assumed lunch in the powder form.

 
At Thu Mar 08, 03:14:00 PM EST, Blogger hollly said...

let me clarify...i assumed, not consumed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home