Saturday, March 29, 2008

Ticketmaster, what are you trying to tell me?

Philosophy -- the chance to press your nose against the side of the fishbowl and take a look outside -- seems to come at me when I'm least expecting it these days. I don't know -- maybe I'm just getting to be that age.

Take yesterday, for instance. I was on the Ticketmaster web site looking for tickets to the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra. The VSO is having a Beethoven festival, and though it's been a long time since I went through that particular phase in my life -- always making sure I had at least one Beethoven piece to play on when I was taking piano lessons, wearing down my tape of the Fifth Piano Concerto, dressing up as Beethoven for Halloween -- I still retain a soft spot for Old Deafy. I'd gotten to the page where you're asked to enter letters you see on-screen to keep bots out (and to keep blind people from going to concerts, I'm convinced). But instead of getting random letters like I used to, I now was presented with two random words.

Here's the part that actually made me stop: they're real words. And as with any two randomly selected words, putting them together makes a kind of poetry (or at least a halfway decent name for a garage band album). I stopped, thought about the words I was seeing, then went back and reloaded the page a couple times to see what I would get. I started looking for sense and reason in the words I was getting. At one point I started wondering, like early Christians thumbing the Bible for inspiration, whether the Internet -- the deus ex machina -- was trying to tell me something.

I didn't write down the words I got at the time, but here are ten more pairs of authentication words I pulled up, just for you:

disagreements nine
Arab center
collect smashes
huddled submitted
Jeffrey already
Bellevue was
from destitute
street, slowing
find Lissner
stamp Gannen

Who's Lissner, and how do I find him? What about the odd and slightly conspiratorial "Arab center"? And if "Jeffrey already," does he still?

I encourage you to replicate this experiment. Go here and you too can be exploring the mysteries (while also looking for Jack Johnson tickets).

1 Comments:

At Fri Apr 04, 01:51:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some services are making a science out of "captcha"s. For instance, http://recaptcha.net, is using it to polish digitized books. Maybe that's why you're seeing somewhat distinguishable words?

Or it could just be TicketMaster's way of distracting you from the fees. That's why my events are moving to TicketDerby.com instead.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home